17 Mart 2016 Perşembe 09:22
Interior Ministry initiates large investigation over bomb attack in Ankara

- Turkey's Interior Ministry has launched an extensive investigation to determine any security and intelligence gaps in a March 13 car bomb attack in central Ankara that claimed at least 37 lives.

The Interior Ministry identified the bomber as 24-year-old Seher Çağla Demir, while media reports were looking into the existence of a second or third suspect in the attack.

The Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK) has claimed responsibility of the car bomb attack in Turkish capital Ankara on March 13, according to a statement of the terror group's website. The terrorist group, has also claimed responsibility for a previous car bombing in Ankara on Feb. 17 that killed 29 people, targeting military shuttles on Merasim Street.

According to the statement released on TAK's website, the group stated a unit led by Seher Çağla Demir, using the alias "Doğa Jiyan", has organized the deadly suicide attack. The attack targeted security officers and the group was "sad" about the death of civilians, said the statement. The car bombing was a “vengeful action” against security operations in Turkey's southeast, it added.

Taking action upon an order by Interior Minister Efkan Ala, civil and police chief inspectors will conduct an investigation to determine whether there were any security and intelligence failures ahead of the attack, the reasons why the attack could not be prevented and whether any negligence by the intelligence units and security teams occurred with the incident.

Authorities will also probe any official negligence during the period in which the vehicle was brought to Ankara.

The inspectors will also investigate how the attack could not be prevented despite a new security mechanism that was announced by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu on Feb. 20 after the Feb. 17 Merasim Street bomb attack on military shuttles in Ankara, as well as how the bomb-laden car was not noticed when it entered a lane that is open only for the use of buses on March 13.

At least 29 people were killed in the former car bomb attack in Ankara.

The vehicle was reportedly bought on Feb. 19 and left the southeastern province of Şanlıurfa on Feb. 20, traveling through the provinces of Gaziantep, Hatay and Diyarbakır before reaching its final destination, Ankara.

Inspectors will also look into how the vehicle was not noticed while it was in Ankara for 15 days prior to the attack, whether there was any intelligence information about the attack and, if so why, the attack could not be prevented.

After being completed, the report will be presented to the Interior Ministry and to the Police Department to determine whether any officers accused of negligence should be relieved of their duties.

Meanwhile, after Atatürk Boulevard, where the March 13 attack occurred, was reopened to traffic, many people come to the site to pray and to place red and white flowers.


Yorum Gönder
Kalan Karakter:
Yorumunuz onaylanmak üzere yöneticiye iletilmiştir.×
Dikkat! Suç teşkil edecek, yasadışı, tehditkar, rahatsız edici, hakaret ve küfür içeren, aşağılayıcı, küçük düşürücü, kaba, müstehcen, ahlaka aykırı, kişilik haklarına zarar verici ya da benzeri niteliklerde içeriklerden doğan her türlü mali, hukuki, cezai, idari sorumluluk içeriği gönderen Üye/Üyeler’e aittir.