In Turkey's Aegean province of Manisa, 26-year-old Ş.K. alleged to have suicidal intents has swallowed 13 alkaline batteries, and was brought to Manisa State Hospital with complaints of stomach ache.
“I have made a literature review and discovered most of similar cases was involving children, who have accidentally swallowed batteries. However, such a case involving an adult marks a first” General Surgery Specialist Erdem Nalbant said.
Nalbant added that the hospital was considering to present the case to World Congress of Surgery.
The patient is expected to recover after the surgery and start eating as normal, said officials.